Stop Cyclings Showstoppers
Sharing 35 years of experience to keep you riding.
Most potential showstoppers can be eliminated by:
- Testing and refining as many aspects as possible.
- Developing the skills to cope with problems on the road.
by John Hughes
© John Hughes 2010, All Rights Reserved
John Hughes, the former director of the UltraMarathon Cycling Association and editor of UltraCycling, has been certified by the National Strength and Conditioning Association as a personal trainer and by USA Cycling as a coach.
This 65-page eBook shows you how to apply two principles:
- Test everything! Try nothing new on an important ride.
- Its not a showstopper unless you decide its a showstopper.
The eBook teaches you dialing in nutrition, resolving points-of-contact issues and bike fit, testing rain gear, bike-handling techniques, roadside repair, safe-riding skills and learning how to ride through tough times, all of which are best done in the off- and pre-season. Don't wait until the main season starts and you are busy riding. The book provides dozens of tips in the following areas:
- Safety: even a minor accident might end a ride whether you are commuting, riding a century or anything in between.
- Mental: how to plan rides to avoid potential showstoppers, and how to ride through bad periods.
- Nutrition: what to eat before, during and after rides to prevent being stopped by the loss of physical and mental energy.
- Equipment: what to do beforehand to reduce the risk of pesky mechanicals, and how to handle one if it does occur.
- Environment: wherever you ride, be it short or long, youll often need to deal with heat, cold, wind or rain and you may have to cope with high altitude.
- Comfort: how to reduce the risk of aches and pains while riding, and how to handle them if they occur.
- Ailments: what to do when you feel sick during a ride.
- Training: simple rules of thumb on how to prepare physically so that serious fatigue and overuse injuries arent issues.
- Techniques: key skills to keep you upright and moving forward.
- Injuries: how to decide whether something that hurts needs medical attention, and remedies during a ride.
The 65 page eBook Stopping Cyclings Showstoppers is available for just $14.95 from RoadBikeRider.com.