Healthy Older Cyclists The difference between normal aging and pathological aging of seniors and recommendations for training for cycling and supplementary training.
Senior Cyclists: Fit for Life Nine columns on how to stay as fit as possible as long as possible for cycling.
Senior Cyclists: Pacing Don't be a fried rabbit.
Senior Cyclists: Physiological Changes Overview of the physiological changes in older cyclists and how regular bicycle training can slow these changes.
Senior Cyclists: Training A dozen cycling training principles for older cyclists.
Senior Cyclists: Training for Climbing A training plan for improving climbing as an older cyclist.
Senior Cyclists: Training for Endurance Benefits of endurance training seniors and training plans for 25 and 50 mile bicycle rides for older cyclists.
Senior Cyclists: Training for a 100 to 200 mile ride Sample training programs for a senior's 100 and 200 mile bicycle rides.
Senior Cyclists: Training to Get Faster Three ways to increase cruising speed on a bicycle without pain.
Senior Cyclists: How to Get and Stay Motivated You've read some of the articles above. Here's how to use goals and other tips to motivate yourself.
Anti-Aging 12 Ways to You Can Slow the Aging Process. 106 pages for $14.99 from RoadBikeRider.com
Examples of Senior Cyclists
Elizabeth Wicks to celebrate her 75th birthday rode 7,500 miles in 2020. I coached Wicks. Here is her story.
Elizabeth Wicks broke the womens age 65 to 69 record at Calvins 12-Hour Bicycle Challenge in 2013 and the W70-74 record in 2014. I coached Wicks. Here is her 2013 training program.
Peter Lekisch was the first 60-year-old rider to finish the solo bicycle Race Across AMerica (RAAM) in 2001 in 12 days 20 hours 50 minutes. I had the pleasure of coaching Peter. Here is his training program.
Cycling Past 50: A 4-article bundle of 98 pages for older cyclists for $15.96 ($4.00 savings) from RoadBikeRider.com. The bundle includes:
- Healthy Cycling Past 50: What happens as you age and how to incorporate cycling and other exercise activities into your daily life to stay healthy and active for many years. Includes three balanced exercise programs for older cyclists. 20 pages for $4.99 from RoadBikeRider.com.
- Off-Season Conditioning Past 50: How to best work on your off-season conditioning given the physiological changes of growing older. Includes two 12-week programs for older cyclists. 26 pages for $4.99 from RoadBikeRider.com.
- Healthy Nutrition Past 50: What an older cyclist should eat and drink to support both a healthy lifestyle and continuing performance. 20 pages for $4.99 from
- Performance Cycling Past 50: How older cyclists can train to achieve more specific cycling goals given the physiological changes of aging. Includes 9 week and 12 week programs. 17 pages for $4.99 from RoadBikeRider.com .
Cycling Past 60: A 2-article bundle of 47 pages for senior cyclists for just $8.98, a 10% discount from RoadBikeRider.com. The bundle includes:
- Cycling Past 60, Part 1: For Health: If a senior exercises correctly, you can slow the effects of aging; if you exercise incorrectly, you can speed up aging. Includes three well-balanced exercise programs for senior cyclists. 24 pages for $4.99 from RoadBikeRider.com.
- Cycling Past 60, Part 2: For Recreation: Builds on the information in Part 1 and uses the concept of Athletic Maturity to design six more rigorous programs for more athletically mature seniors. Pages for $4.99 from RoadBikeRider.com
Cycling Past 50, 60 and Beyond. A 3-article bundle of 100 pages for seniors for just $13.50, a 20% discount from RoadBikeRider.com. The bundle includes:
- Fit for Life: The article shows how you can exercise in different ways to be fitter for life as a senior and have fun. It provides a variety of exercise options available to you to strengthen your body's functions that keep you alive and help to keep you fit for life, including the aerobic, skeletal, muscular, neural, core and balance systems. 40 pages for $14.99 from RoadBikeRider.com
- Peak Fitness:
The article contains four specific programs for seniors to improve fitness in one or more of the following ways: Improved Endurance, More Power, Faster Speed and / or Higher Aerobic Capacity (VO2 max.) 41 pages for $4.99 from RoadBikeRider.com
- Training with Intensity: The article describes five progressively harder levels of training for seniors and gives 3 to 5 examples each of structured and unstructured workouts for each level of training, a total of almost 40 workouts. 27 pages for $4.99 from RoadBikeRider.com
Coach Hughes other articles from RoadBikeRider.com